If you haven’t seen it yet, go read through the
#YesAllWomen hashtag on Twitter. It’s so sobering and a sad reality that we need to stop being naïve to. As a father of 2 girls, I want all of you to raise your sons to respect and honor women. As a father of a son, I am 100% committed to do the same. My son WILL honor your daughters.
I decided to build a desk since the prices of nice desks are astronomical, and since I wanted it to be a custom fit for me. I knew I wanted more desk space, but didn’t want to necessarily build a giant desk, so I opted instead to build two side shelves that could serve as an extension to the desk. This is super convenient if I ever needed to use the desk in a smaller location or if I wanted to position the shelves differently.
Since it’s a style i’m familiar with (and like), I decided to build it using a similar technique to how I built the media cabinets, and the tv stand. The main difference being that I wanted to stain this piece, so would need to have a better solution for the nail/screw holes. I ended up buying a pocket hole jig from lowes, and that solved the issue (almost) perfectly. Since pocket holes aren’t quite as strong, I had to do some additional reinforcement on the desk legs to keep them straight.
I had a few mishaps along the way and not everything lines up perfectly, but overall I’m really happy with how this project came out. Below are some pictures of the project in progress, and completed.
Because no DIY project would be complete without before pictures. ;)
Phase 1: Build it
I built a quick prototype of how I wanted it to look in the end, L bracket, stain and everything.
First leg is built!
Desktop built and one leg attached.
Additional bracing for the legs.
Desktop is done (mostly). I eventually added some lateral supports between the front and back legs.
Trying it on for size.
One side shelf in progress. Clamps are to help “convince” the wood to be square. Hard to find perfectly square and level lumber.
Side shelves 90%. Still need the middle shelves, and the shelf holes drilled.
Putting it all together.
Shelf holes drilled, middle shelves built and everything (heavily) sanded.
Phase 2: The finish
Oooh, this is going to be nice!
Side shelf after being stained.
One coat of sanding sealer on the desk.
How it looks after sanding the sanding sealer. Pretty chalky!
After sanding the sanding sealer, and one coat of varnish.
One coat of varnish.
This picture demonstrates the “satin” sheen. I didn’t want a high-gloss finish.
All finished, and letting them cure a couple days.
Phase 3: Putting it all together
Probably 5 too many pictures, but what the heck.
Close-up of joints and finish.
Close-up of joints and finish.
Triangular blocks act as “feet” to hold the self-leveling feet. Also see the the pocket holes on the inside of the legs.
Don’t look! I didn’t stain the undersides. :) I braced the legs with large shelf brackets.
After having a glass-top desk for forever, I wanted this desk to do a better job of hiding cords.
How the desktop pieces are held together, and you can see the cords are all tidied up.
Cords are mostly hidden.
Better picture of the side shelves in action.
The most important thing to know about staying fit is this: If it takes willpower, you’re doing it wrong. Anything that requires willpower is unsustainable in the long run.
— Scott Adams, “Read this if you want to be happy in 2014“
$50 for this? looks nice, but common!
How about making my own?
YES! i can do that…
So here it is. i’ll update this post when i get around to painting it.
Ok, i got around to painting it… kinda gave it an aged look… to match the whole apple experience.
Ok, the last part was a joke.
Ok, for the ultimate finish, thanks to a donation of two fans and a power adapter by @sr_tirado. Check it out!
For the last week, we have been renovating Vic & Cindy’s master bedroom in anticipation of Vic’s arrival here. He lost his job in MN, which is a bad thing, but is a good thing because he gets to move here to be with his family. We wanted to do this for them, because we appreciate them so much, and to give them a haven to get away from all the “young people.” Since they always take care of themselves last, we knew their room would never get done, unless we did it now. And it’s a good thing… the room started out bad, and was only getting worse with the addition of miscallaneous things that didn’t belong anywhere else. Here’s some “before” pictures.
the couch was a new addition to the room… you could say it’s what pushed us over the top…
After we started moving stuff…
room between bathroom and bedroom.
Ok… enough of that… now for the “After” stuff!
And the video “reveal”
first post… it asked me for a picture, so here you go….
Wow! It’s clear! Let’s go swimming!
Vic, every shot of Mia is an action shot. :o)
24 hrs and a cake/phone bribe later, Mia let Papa hold her. :o)