Here’s a recent project I took on. My wife has been begging me to do something with a dining room table for a while. I’ve been reluctant to paint the one we have because it has a laminate/formica top, and I wasn’t fond of the idea of the finish chipping off.. But after some research, I felt more comfortable with the idea. After sanding the crap out of it, I ended up using oil-based kilz as the bonding primer. My cousin Pete suggested XIM, but I had already completed the priming process, and I’ve had nothing but good experiences with kilz over the years. But while talking to him, I did get some invaluable advice for which products to use to ensure durability for years. Since This table project is not something I’m looking to repeat any time soon, I took his advice to use a lacquer paint followed by a lacquer clear-coat. I hauled it over to a friend’s cabinet shop where he let us loose with the HVLP cup gun. We gave a it a couple good coats of white, came back the next night to scuff it up a little to give it that touch of shabby chic, and then gave it a couple good coats of clear.
Overall, I’m super happy with result, and I think it’s going to hold up even in our hazardous environment (we have 3 kids, I’m sure you understand).
New chairs call for a new table.. or at least new-looking
It took some effort to sand the glossy finish off of the laminate top. Yep, that’s a genuine fake wood top!
Meagan even helped out
I don’t have any photos of the priming stage, but this is an in-progress shot of the painting in the shop
A little ‘antiquing’ and a couple clear-coats later, we have our new table!
For the last week, we have been renovating Vic & Cindy’s master bedroom in anticipation of Vic’s arrival here. He lost his job in MN, which is a bad thing, but is a good thing because he gets to move here to be with his family. We wanted to do this for them, because we appreciate them so much, and to give them a haven to get away from all the “young people.” Since they always take care of themselves last, we knew their room would never get done, unless we did it now. And it’s a good thing… the room started out bad, and was only getting worse with the addition of miscallaneous things that didn’t belong anywhere else. Here’s some “before” pictures.
the couch was a new addition to the room… you could say it’s what pushed us over the top…
After we started moving stuff…
room between bathroom and bedroom.
Ok… enough of that… now for the “After” stuff!
And the video “reveal”
Tried to arrange each section of photos into a before->during->after progression.
If you want to see how bad it really looked, check out this Pre-purchase slideshow:
*Update: In April, 2010, the exterior got painted:
*Update: In August, 2010, the last unpainted bedroom received a makeover:
We painted our place recently… It feels much more homey now…
(hover to view slideshow arrows)
Welcome to our home!
We finished painting this home in January… It’s a beautiful home with a beautiful view. These pics are mostly of the upstairs… Didn’t have time to take pics downstairs… Maybe later.
Check them out!